Living with chronic pain is anything but fun. While its severity may range from day to day, dealing with constant pain can make even the simplest tasks feel impossible. Chronic pain is one of the most common reasons why people seek cannabis. Some of the most popular solutions are smoking and vaping. Tinctures and edibles are popular as well. Another cannabis treatment many are using for pain is cannabis topicals.
What Are Cannabis Topicals?
Cannabis topicals are products made to be applied directly to your skin. These cannabis-infused products come in the form of lotions, creams, balms, and ointments. Those made for chronic pain also typically contain other natural ingredients to combat your symptoms, such as capsaicin, menthol, yarrow, or arnica.
Like other cannabis products, different topicals are infused with different strains. Topicals can be high THC, high CBD, or a 1:1 balance.
What Makes Topicals Different from Other Cannabis Products?
With most cannabis products, you take them internally. You smoke a joint or inhale vapor. You eat an edible, swallow a capsule, or put a tincture under your tongue. Taking cannabis in these methods results in the cannabinoids absorbing into your bloodstream. If you use a high THC strain, you are likely to experience psychoactive effects.
When it comes to cannabis topicals, cannabinoids don’t reach your bloodstream. Instead, they absorb into your skin. As the largest organ of your body, the skin is a part of your endocannabinoid system and contains numerous cannabinoid receptors. Cannabinoids applied topically bind to receptors in the skin, providing targeted pain relief where you need it most.
Benefits of Cannabis Topicals
Cannabis topicals have many benefits, including:
- They’re discreet: They don’t smell like cannabis, nor do they look like it. They look just like any other pain-relief cream.
- They alleviate pain and inflammation: By reducing pain and inflammation, you can more easily perform daily tasks.
- They’re targeted: Applied to the site of your pain, the topical can provide more targeted relief.
- They can treat other pain and skin issues: These issues include sunburn, bug bites, wounds, muscle pain, injuries from exercise, headaches, and skin conditions.
- They can’t get you high. Since the THC in cannabis topicals doesn’t enter your bloodstream, there’s no worry that you’ll get high. Even high THC topicals don’t have any psychoactive effects.
How to Apply a Topical
Applying a cannabis topical is simple. First, you need to determine where you need the relief. Next, clean the area thoroughly to remove dirt, germs, dead skin cells, oil, and any other debris.
Once the area is dry, apply your topical. Use a generous amount and massage it into your skin. While you should use some pressure, avoid using too much, as you don’t accidentally worsen your pain. If necessary, apply more. Since you won’t get high using your topical, you don’t have to worry about using too much. Reapply your topical as needed throughout the day.
Cannabis topicals provide another method to help alleviate your chronic pain. They don’t require inhalation or consuming anything. Check out your local dispensary to see what options are available to you.